December 31, 2009
Thank You for supporting our shop and what we do.Thank You for being such wonderful friends to us, and also to one another. Thank You for helping Mother Nature by being eco-conscious and environmentally savvy.
2009 was a great year and I'm sure 2010 will be even better. I only hope that CGB will continue to bring as much joy to your life as it brings to ours.
December 30, 2009
Here at CGB we offer Parenting and Toddler Groups weekly. But now, we're introducing a new group! Our GLBT group will take place on Mondays from 10-11:30AM! If you are interested in natural and organic living,and would like to meet other local GLBT families, come spend some time with like-minded parents, caregivers and their children.
And just like our other parenting groups, a 3 month membership is $25. This includes guest speakers and discounts at local restaurants and shops. You will receive a 15% off shopping discount at CGB when you shop during the group. (excludes consignment, classes, Once Crunched and Hip Baby Gear Items) Your first group is free, drop in fee is $5.00.
Show your CGB Parenting Group Member Card on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 11:30am-1:00pm at these participating restaurants and shops and receive great discounts.
*Free drink with meal purchase
Ben and Jerry’s
*Free kiddie cup or cone with purchase of $4 or more.
Modern Millie Vintage & Consignments
103 Washington St
*10% off any full priced purchase
Salem Wine Imports
32 Church Street
*10% off any full priced purchase
21 Front St
*10% off 5 skeins or more
133 Washington St.
*Free soft drink with purchase of sandwich or entree
December 24, 2009
We're at the shop today until 4PM, so be sure to stop by if you haven't finished your holiday shopping. We've got adorable organic clothes, super-fun (and eco-friendly!) toys, baby-wearing wraps, cloth diapers and more! Need gift ideas? Check out some of our suggestions here. PLUS, our December Promotion is still going strong. Save 10 - 35% store-wide!
And if we don't see you today, have a very merry holiday! We're closed tomorrow (December 25), but we'll be back on Saturday morning at 10AM!
December 23, 2009
Wait, you're not a shareholder? Then be sure to sign up for our January Citrus Share! We don't have all the information (or the date yet), but check out the details from today's share and start thinking about registering for 2010. And no worries, we'll keep you posted about January's Citrus CSA!
PS: I'm drooling over the maple syrup and artisan cheese...
December 20, 2009
Earth Friendly Baby Shampoo & BodyWash use natural ingredients to enhance your baby's already delicate hair and skin, without using harsh detergents and chemicals. Plus, these products are never tested on animals and they're made in the USA!
Choose from three delightful Shampoo & BodyWashes: classic Organic Chamomile, relaxing Organic Lavender and funtime Organic Mandarin. Check 'em out at CGB!
Wow! I made it! We are OPEN!
I will be here until 4pm.
Today might be a good day to order online though. I will be updating it through out the day.
Save 20% with coupon code Blizz1209 for today only. All packages will ship USPS priority tomorrow to get to there destinations just in time for Christmas!
If you don't see something on line but know I have it in the store, just give me a ring and we can do a phone order too!
Let it snow, let is snow, let is snow!
December 19, 2009
We spent the morning at Waikiki Beach in Salem...And yes, it was freezing. Especially for those of us (Ahem, Amy) who jumped into the frigid waters as a fundraiser for HAWC! Learn more here.
Charlie Hope then paid a visit to the shop this morning, playing her third concert for adoring CGB fans! As always, we had a wonderful time listening to Hope's melodies. But if you couldn't make the show, no worries. Check her out tomorrow evening on WERS 88.9! Hope will be paying a visit to The Playground, a show dedicated to the best local, national and international kids artists.Check her out between 5 and 8PM!
(PS: If you're not already an avid WERS fan yet, then you will be soon. This Emerson College-owned station plays the best independent music in Boston. Seriously. )
And don't forget: CGB is open on Tuesday, Wednesday AND Thursday for you last-minute shoppers. Plus, our December Promotion is happening through the end of the month!
December 18, 2009
This is Charlie's third concert at CGB and the past two have been super awesome, (see photo at left) so plan on getting her early to secure a good spot!
Learn more here.
For just $5, you can spent the morning swimming in Salem Harbor!
Here’s the deal:
Local friend (and outdoor enthusiast) Derek Jones is organizing the 1st Annual Yuletide Plunge. It’s $5 to take the plunge and all proceeds benefit Salem’s own HAWC (Help for Abused Women and Children). The party starts at 9AM at Waikiki Beach on Winter Island in Salem.
Refreshments will be available, as well as a raffle for those who complete the plunge.
Don’t feel like taking a plunge? Then come support HAWC and watch everyone (incl. CGB's own Amy) freeze!
December 17, 2009
For...The New Family: Why not give the new family a break from everyday chores? The Green Delicious Gift Package provides personal chef service for new parents, providing three delicious family meals prepared with the freshest whole ingredients, making those hectic first days a little easier.
For...The New Mom or Dad: A Calin Bleu wraparound baby carrier is a versatile and simple way of carrying babies and toddlers. Mom will stay comfortable when carrying the baby round the house, on public transport, or in shopping centers.
For ...The New Addition: This vibrant Green Squirrel Body Suit is cute, eco-friendly and perfect for a boy or girl!
For ...The Toddler: Kids love cars and parents love eco-friendly toys from Imagiplay! This Push Along Hybrid Car aids young children in balance and motor skills, while keeping them entertained for hours.
For...The Co-Worker's Child: Not entirely sure what to get for a friend or co-worker's child? You can't go wrong with Burp Armor! The stay-put shape keeps parents and kids clean, doubling as a stay-in-place burp cloth and a bib! Not enough to convince you? What if I told that 5% of the proceeds from each sale go to Boston Children's Hospital? Perfect.
For ... Anyone Else: Why not pick up a CGB Gift Card and let your recipient pick out their own present?!
If none of these items are your style, we've got tons of other great gift ideas! Stop in today and we'll help you put together the perfect present!
PS: Once you find your Mother Nature approved present, don't forget to green your wrapping! Not sure how? Check out this fabulous website (Thanks Rebecca Hains!) for ideas on eco-friendly wrapping! Some of our favs:
- Brown paper packages tied up with string . . . these are a few of my favorite things: Unbleached brown craft paper brings a certain rustic elegance to the table that can be helpful if you’re going for that sort of look. Accent your packages with plaid hair ribbons, colored twine or other appropriate green items that suit your taste.
- Maps: Save old road maps and use them for wrapping presents you intend to give to travelers, teachers or students. Maps are colorful, sturdy and often free at your local tourist information center.
- Calendars: I personally like the kind with the vintage travel labels or old fashioned liquor ads, as they add a bit of pop culture while remaining firmly in the traditional camp. Plus, I love the darker classic colors they tend to use on those things. Just rip the pages out and use for small gifts.
December 15, 2009
And don't forget about our December Promotion! Save 10 - 35% store-wide! Learn more here.
December 14, 2009
When beginning the foray into cloth diapering, CGB recommends experimenting. Try a few different brands/styles at the beginning and see which works best for you and for your baby. Cloth diapering is an investment and you want to be sure your investment is worthwhile. After all, you wouldn’t buy a few dozen shoes for yourself before trying them all!
With that in mind, please consider the following numbers when cloth diapering: 20-30 diapers, 2 wool covers and/or 4 cotton covers. When considering the amounts to buy, take into account the age of your baby. Newborns and infants will need 10 to 12 changes a day. Toddlers will need 8 to 10. And remember, most cloth diapering families wash diapers every 2 or 3 days.
How do I wash my cloth diapers?
- Put wet, soiled diapers into dry diaper pail (CGB recommends 2 pail liners) and if you’re past the exclusively breastfed stage, shake any solid into the toilet.
- Cold Wash (Place all your soiled cloth diapers in the machine with baking soda for a cold water wash) or Hot Wash (Add your wet cloth diapers to load, add detergent and baking soda and wash in hot water).
- Rinse: Rinse cloth diapers with cold water and vinegar.
- 2nd Rinse: Rinse cloth diapers with cold water.
- Dry: To extend the life of our cloth diapers and covers, hang them dry. It is especially important for diaper covers to preserve their waterproofing ability.
NOTE: Don’t use Desitin or other diaper creams with zinc oxide, it will coat and strip the diapers of their absorbent qualities.
Which type of detergent should I use?
Stick with fragrance free detergents and be sure to avoid detergents with whitening enzymes, soap products, Borax, or bleach. These products are extremely harsh on cloth diapers and will break down their fibers and reduce their life. Also, they are rough against your baby's skin. CGB recommends Allen’s Naturally.
Tips & Tricks
- Does your diaper pail smell? Try sprinkling baking soda in the bottom of the pail.
- Not a fan of stained diapers? Put hydrogen peroxide or lemon juice on the stain and hang in the sun before moving from the washing machine to the dryer.
December 13, 2009
You are cordially invited to join The Phoenix School's students, teachers, parents and friends to celebrate the students'artistic accomplishments and spirit of giving this season on Thursday, December 17 at 6:30PM.
Each year, during the 1st two weeks of December,
December 12, 2009
Join singer Charlie Hope for a free concert at Crunchy Granola Baby on Saturday, December 19 at 11 AM!
Singing songs from her new CD “I’m Me,” Charlie Hope’s music touches upon naptime, kangaroos, fire trucks, new babies, and frogs, among other themes. Her music is melodic, interactive, and sing-able, as well as relevant to children’s lives, reflecting and respecting their experiences.
Reviews on Amazon have called Charlie Hope’s music “refreshing,” “fun,” and “sweet and infectious,” and her raspy lilting voice has been compared to Carole King and Carly Simon. Besides Charlie Hope’s experience as a singer/songwriter, she also holds her degree in Art Therapy with Children and has worked as a trusted caregiver for years.
Get a preview of Charlie Hope’s debut CD “I’m Me” by visiting her MySpace page. CD’s will be available for purchase at Crunchy Granola Baby after the show.
December 10, 2009
Once again Heavens Harvest Farm is offering organic Citrus from Eagles Nest Organic Grove in
New this year is the addition of IPM Apples (not sprayed 30 days before harvest) from Honey Bee Orchards in
All products will be delivered to Crunchy Granola Baby on Wednesday, December 23rd. The deadline for registration is Monday, December 14. And remember: You don't need to be a CSA shareholder to order these wonderful seasonal foods.
To register for a share, please bring your check (made out to Heavens Harvest Farm) to Crunchy Granola Baby by December 14. Please include your order, name, address, phone and email on the check.
If you have questions, please contact 978.741.0800 or
Noted below are your fruit order options. The list is rather long. Please be very accurate in ordering.
*Types of Citrus: Satsuma, Clementines, Sunburst Tangerines, Hanlin Juice & Fresh eating oranges, Carce-carer (red) , and Navels
- Full boxes (40lbs) of any citrus $68
- Half boxes (20lbs) of any citrus $38
- Full Box of 2 way citrus mix $72
- Full Box of 3 way citrus mix $75
- Full Box of 4 way citrus mix $78
- Half Box of 2 way citrus mix $40
- Half Box of 3 way citrus mix $42
*Types of Apples: Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, MacIntosh
- Full box of any apple $40
- Half box of any apple $25
- Full Box of all 3 apples $45
- Full Box of any 2 apples $45
- Half Box of all 3 apples $30
- Half Box of any 2 apples $28
CITRUS AND APPLES:
- Full Box of 2 way citrus and apple $65
- Full Box of 3 way citrus and apple $68
- Half Box of 2 way citrus and apple $38
Maine Produced Maple Syrup
- Pints $13
- Quarts $25
5 Certified raw milk artisan cheeses
*Ingredients: certified raw milk, enzymes, and sea salt)
- Piermont (1lb) $16
- Toma (1lb) $16
- Gruyere (1lb) $18
- Manch Veges (1lb) $18
December 5, 2009
Besides the downtown holiday tree and evergreen wreaths, 35 downtown businesses are decorating their windows especially for the holidays. Including yours truly, Crunchy Granola Baby!
We encourage you to stroll downtown and take a look at all the beautiful windows! And don't forget to vote for you favorite windows at any participating business. Including yours truly, Crunchy Granola Baby!
And to top it off, all ballots will be entered into a holiday stocking contest! The winner of the ballot contest chosen December 11 will receive a holiday stocking filled with gifts and gift certificates.
*Did we mention that the snowflakes and haikus in our window were made by The Phoenix School? And the cardboard for our trees was donated by Salem Cycle? And the biodegradable packing popcorn is from Urban Elements? Our window is truly a recycled, and community, window display!
Learn more, and see which shops are participating, here.
December 4, 2009
Oscar and Belle offers timeless and classic baby and childrens clothing. All of their adorable outfits are grown without any synthetic fertilizers, toxins, or pesticides. Also, each item is produced and manufactured without any harsh dyes, chemical bleaches, and is made strictly to ensure no chemical or metal contaminants come near your child.
Stop in to check out the adorable Acorn Dresses (pictured above), Corduroy & Velour Jackets (also pictured above), Yoga Tee and Pant Sets, Yoga Pose Shirts, Thermal Onesies, Thermal Pants, and more!
*And don't forget about CGB's Christmas Promotion! Go shopping...head to the register... and pull a discount code right before you pay! 10 - 35% off throughout December!
December 3, 2009
- Go shopping...
- Head to the register...
- And right before you pay, pull a discount code from our basket! You can save 10 - 35% with every purchase!
*Offer only available in-store.
*Discount excludes classes, consignment items and CSA shares.
No worries! Shares are still available!
The Winter round has started, but you can join now and you be pro-rated for the remainder.
- Full Winter Share is $585 or 2 equal payments of $292.50
- Half Winter Shares $425 0r 2 equal payments of $212.50
- The season runs for 13 weeks, and is broken up into two sessions: First Session (6 wks) runs from Dec. 2 through Jan. 27 Second Session (7 wks) runs from Feb. 3 through March 17.
- Produce is delivered every WEDNESDAY to CGB, and shareholders then pick up their share between 3 and 5:45. (your share may be available earlier, we will Tweet and Facebook when it arrives)
- How to Pay: Checks (either the full payment or initial half payment, with second half payment due at start of second session) should be made out to Heavens Harvest Farm and dropped off (or mailed) to Crunchy Granola Baby.Please include: Name, Address, Phone and Email.
- What to Expect: Apples * Celeriac * Strawberries * Swiss Chard * Collards * Arugula * Green Cabbage * Eggplant * Kale * Spring Onions * Lettuce, many varieties * Grape Tomato * Parsnips * Mustard * Sweet Potatoes * Braising Mix * Cucumbers * Parsley * Baby Bok Choy * Green Bell Peppers * Green Scallions * Summer Squash * Radishes * Cherry Tomatoes * Tatsoi * Zucchini * Potatoes * Snap peas * Tangerine, Honey * Onions * Turnip * Oranges, Red Valencia * Beets * Grapefruit, Red * Dandelion * Rutabaga * Spinach * Sweet Corn * Carrot (Please note: We cannot guarantee that these exact products will be available but we look forward to serving you with fresh organic produce during the winter/spring season.)
And don't forget to check out CGB's CSA Blog to learn more about this program!
Pssst: Looking for a great website to find recipes and yummy CSA idea? Check out Healthy Eats and also learn about wheat berries here.